COTM 2017 PHOTOBOOK REVIEW AND PRIZE
The Photobook Review and Prize - call for dummy, or book prototypes to be submitted to editors for publication, was open to both amateur and professional photographers.
Hannah Watson, Director of Trolley Books and contemporary art gallery TJ Boulting, selected the best dummies:
- the dummy Make a wish by Loulou d’Aki will be published as a book through COTM and will be exhibited at Cortona On The Move 2018
the follow 5 dummies were reviewed in a public presentation held by Hannah Watson during the inaugural days of the festival:
- The Restoration Will - Mayumi Suzuki
- The Absence of Two - Akihito Yoshida
- Prendo Casa - Francesca Cirilli
- O Post Mijo - Francesca Leonardi
- Tessuti Toniu - Francesca Romana Semerano
The call was open from May 15th to June 15th 2017.
- All photographers and artists using photography (as individuals or a collective) of any age or nationality could participate in the call.
- Each photographer could participate with just one project.
- Applications should be submitted in English. Dummies should be in their original language.
Participation was FREE OF CHARGE
The project should be as close as possible to the final version, both in its form and the materials used (type of paper, font, etc.), and production must be technically feasible using traditional book mass production methods.
Application material should be sent according to BOTH (A and B) of the following procedures:
A. by post using a courier with traceable delivery, A. to the following address only: ONTHEMOVE Associazione Culturale att. Dummy Review Via Roma 31 52044 Cortona (AR) Italia
The package must include:
- One hard copy of the dummy book
- The application form (in English) completed in all its parts and signed
B. via WeTransfer to the following email address only (Subject: DUMMY REVIEW): firstname.lastname@example.org
This transfer should include:
- the PDF copy of the same photobook (an average-size PDF file in the form of continuous separate page including front and back cover)
- An image of your dummy book’s cover on a 1:1 scale, jpg format, 300 dpi.
- Digital version of the application form completed in all its parts and signed.
By signing and sending the application form you agreed to the terms and conditions . The participant received a mail confirming the receipt of the completed application (both email and paper versions).
Hannah Watson reviewed works and selected the best dummies which will be graded according their individual merits as follows:
- 1 dummy will be published as a book through COTM and will be exhibited at Cortona On The Move 2018
- 5 dummies will be reviewed in a public presentation held by Hannah Watson during the inaugural days of the festival
- a selection of browsable digital version of the dummies will be published on the COTM website
Hannah Watson considered the book’s artistic and technical qualities. This includes looking at the underlying project’s artistic merit and the translation of the project into the form of a book, considering both the concept (edit/sequence) and its realization (design, production).
The winner and the selected works were announced during the public presentation held by Hannah Watson on July 15th during the opening of Cortona On The Move.
The winner and nominees agree not to reveal their identity before the official announcement. Production of the winning book will begin in early 2018.
Hannah Watson is the Director of Trolley Books and contemporary art gallery TJ Boulting. Established in 2001, Trolley Books publish a diverse range of titles presenting unique stories in photography, photojournalism and contemporary art. In particular Trolley has championed the work of many photographers often publishing their first book, including those of Adam Broomberg and Oliver Chanarin, Paolo Pellegrin, Alex Majoli, Stanley Greene, Nina Berman, Robin Maddock, Alixandra Fazzina and Sian Davey. In 2015 Trolley were chosen to be the inaugural co-publishers with The Photographers’ Gallery for their Bar Tur Book Award, for a graduate or recent graduate’s first book, which was won by Angus Fraser and his project on Santa Muerte. In 2005 Trolley Books received a special commendation from the Kraszna-Krausz Book Awards for its outstanding contribution to photography book publishing. Hannah Watson joined Trolley in 2005 and continues the legacy of its founder Gigi Giannuzzi, who died at the end of 2012. The gallery TJ Boulting was founded when they relocated to new premises in Riding House Street, Fitzrovia in 2011. TJ Boulting’s programme supports and represents emerging contemporary artists in all mediums, and currently hosts the British Journal of Photography International Photography Award, which was won this year by Daniel Castro Garcia for his project ‘Foreigner’.
Partnership with Crowdbooks
Crowdbooks is a publishing platform which is disrupting the editorial paradigm by helping the fundraising and production of illustrated books with a «community» business model of discovery, sharing and support.
Crowdbooks is going to host the selected dummy on its platform and will help to raise the necessary funds as well as supervise its production.
Call for entry summary details
|Winning entry announcement:||15th July, 2017|
|Call opens:||15th May, 2017|
|Call closes:||15th June, 2017 at 23:59 CET|
Last edition winner
Dear Japanese, Miyuki Okuyama