Happiness is a point of view.
As with all previous editions, the 7th edition of our Happiness ONTHEMOVE contest, partnered with Consorzio Vino Chianti, features happiness as its central theme.
Development of the theme is left to your own personal vision, creativity and sensitivity. Photographers are asked to reflect upon the theme, avoiding a purely literal interpretation, and developing the multifaceted sides of the concept. Happiness is a choice. It can be a fully articulated story, or it can be something internal, sometimes subtle and not always self-evident. It depends entirely on the experience of each individual.
Happiness is suspension, surprise, a story that resonates inside you, often for no reason whatsoever. Happiness is action, it is stillness, it can be just a look, or maybe an entire lifetime. We’re not looking for easy smiles or stereotyped images. We want to see true happiness in your stories.
The aim of the ONTHEMOVE international prize is to amaze the jury with a tale of unexpected, astonishing happiness. Participants are invited to submit works that develop the general theme of the contest in an original manner.
The winner of Happiness ONTHEMOVE will receive a prize of 5,000 euros plus exhibition space in the subsequent edition of Cortona On The Move, in 2019. The winning project will be awarded and projected on the evening dedicated to projections during the inauguration period of COTM 2018.
The jury for the prize convenes exclusively online and is composed of field experts and professionals.
Consorzio Vino Chianti and Cortona On The Move
The Consorzio Vino Chianti (Chianti winegrowers consortium) has represented a group of Chianti vintners since 1927 and it has been promoting the Chianti brand itself since that time. It is dedicated to safeguarding a product of excellence that is tied to a specific geographical area and its history.
The consortium’s partnership with Cortona On The Move came about through its desire to support initiatives that tell simple, everyday stories while giving us glimpses of happiness and passion.
How to apply
Each project submitted should include:
- A minimum of 8 and a maximum of 15 images. Each image should be in Jpeg format, colour or B&W, 800 pixels on the longest side, a resolution of 72dpi and a max file size of 2 Mbs. You must retain a corresponding, high resolution file of at least 10 Mbs per image which we will ask you to provide us with if your application is accepted. Each file should be named and sequenced as follows: SIRNAME, FIRST NAME INITIAL, SEQUENTIAL IMAGE NUMBER (for example: James Frey will name his files: FREY_J_001.jpeg, FREY_J_002.jpeg, etc.)
- Title (of your project)
- A written presentation of your work in English (maximum 1000 characters including spaces)
- Bio in English (a brief written biography, not a CV)
Send your projects between April 16 and May 27th, 2018 at 23:59 CET (May 27th, 14:59 PST)
- The author must hold intellectual property rights and own full copyright for the work presented
- Any project entered that is the work of multiple photographers should include a written declaration of agreement, signed in advance by all parties concerned
- After the winning entry has been announced the author(s) must grant temporary rights to Associazione ONTHEMOVE for ALL the images in the project AT HIGH RESOLUTION (300 dpi) for the following uses:
° production and exhibition of the winning project in the Cortona On The Move festival for the year following that of the award presentation. The photographs will be printed at the expense of Associazione Culturale ONTHEMOVE and will be kept in the archive of the Associazione. The Associazione will not exhibit the prints at any other event without the full agreement of the author(s).
° one-time publication in a journal to be chosen by ONTHEMOVE
° publication in Cortona On The Move’s festival catalogue for this, and subsequent editions
- The author(s) will also grant publication rights and use for 4 of their project images for:
° printed and web-based articles in journals selected by ONTHEMOVE
° press releases and promotional/documentary use on its proprietary websites
° promotional and documentary multimedia materials
- Under no circumstances may ONTHEMOVE exploit the images for economic gain without the prior consent and agreement of the author(s), who will always keep the right to be credited for the work
- Failure to accept the above regulations, either wholly or in part, will result in the immediate withdrawal of the prize and the assignment of the same to the next author in the ranking.